1995 Ford F150 starts but acts like it runs on 1 or 2 cylinders?

It either dies after a several seconds or it idles smoothly after several seconds. Pushing the gas pedal does nothing. Wtf is this?

Sounds like a bad TPS but could be other issues or multiple issues depending on how well it's been maintained. Has it been tuned up? Filters changed? Check engine light on? Any trouble codes?

No throttle response is typically caused by a faulty TPS… No readings getting to the PCM as to actual throttle angle/opening. Faulty TPS readings can also affect starting as the computer uses that info to set IACV steps/counts/opening and can cause loping or erratic idle, stalling, no starts, etc.

I'd test the TPS for proper base readings and smooth voltage readings as you open the throttle… If they are erratic in spots or at closed throttle, then replace the TPS. Check for any wiring defects in the circuit too… Loose or corroded connectors, etc.

Do a pressure test of the fuel system… Could also be partly a weak pump, clogged filter, bad pressure reg, etc. Test /replace the MAP sensor as well.

Test or clean the IACV… Idle Air Control Valve. Which can get crudded up over time and not respond to computer inputs which also causes starting or stalling issues. Actually, an older truck like yours will likely need some cleaning of the MAF (if so equipped) and throttle body too which can affect proper airflow/readings. Part stores sell special cleaners for that… Vids or websites show how to clean. Check for any vacuum leaks at hoses, PCV, air intake duct, etc.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/how-to-test-the-tps-1

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/how-to-test-the-map-sensor-1

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/maf-sensor-tests-1

https://www.google.com/...e4pqF5xECM

There are a lot of things that can cause that. You need a mechanic with a good scan tool to monitor the sensors to make sure they are all with in spec.

Can't see why paul got a thumbs down. Essentially he has made a few valid points. Ideally a garage is best bet as will have access to a diagnostic tester and can more easily check parts /replace etc
sounds more fuel air mix issues than electrics. Have we had fell filter replaced? Have we worked under hood recently? Any water etc that gets into loom connections on harness can play havoc with systems control.
we ought to think about probably a mix of more than one fault EGR sticking? Maf dirty? Etc an even an air leak? Garage can easily test fuel pressure. Air leaks .EGR etc using diagnostic tools and experience .training. Etc

• P0300 Code on Ford Taurus but car runs fine? Hi, i have a 2006 ford taurus, only has 55,000 miles on her, and all of the sudden this code popped up on me today. The car had been driving fine, and still does. Definitely have not felt it missfire or buck at all. Despite a small exhaust leak, everything on the car is in great condition and has been running great. Should i be worried and does it need a fix?
  • My 2001 ford taurus acts like it wants to stall when in park? Also it idles very low like and hesitates. The rpm gage fluctuates up and down fast.in real hot weather it starts but dies in park but will start back up in about 10 minutes.
  • Ford 300 starts smoking from oil cap after 1 minute of runtime and radiator smells like a wet fire pit? It was running fine then it started acting hard to start off and smoking a little so I figured oil. Put some more in and it straightened up for a mile or so then started acting up worse. It began to have a knocking noise like an old diesel tractor. I don't understand what it is because it starts up just fine but won't run for more than a minute before it starts pudding and knocking. Also there are tiny pieces of rust chunks in the radiator and it smells like a wet fire pit.
  • I have a 1995 ford f150 5.8 engine that feels like is misfiring? As I have the truck on park or as I'm on a stop light the truck starts shaking. But it gets worse when I get up to speed the the truck runs fine till I need some more power then it starts shaking again. At times it feels like the transmission is going bad but I took it in and they told me that it was not that, but that it could be a bad ignition coil. What do you guys think? I cleaned the egr valve and it did not fix anything.